Established in 2007 and located in Solana Beach, CA Falling Waters Landscape is a 21-person landscape design and construction firm specializing in residential landscape design, construction and fine garden maintenance. We believe that harmony between Architecture and landscape can be achieved no matter what the style may be. We believe this harmony is integral to the health and beauty of our environment. We believe in simple, honest materials and uncluttered plant palettes. We believe that sustainability is a balancing act with practicality. We believe in taking care of our employees first, then our clients, then ourselves. We believe in quality workmanship, attention to detail, staying curious, creating relationships... and making people and plants happy. We are Falling Waters Landscape.
We are members of the CLCA (California Landscape Contractors Assoc.) ASLA (American Society of Landscape Architects) both leaders in the Landscape Construction and design industries. We are members of the USGBC (United States Green Building Council), and Surf-rider’s Ocean Friendly Garden program. From our offices in coastal Solana Beach, CA we offer our full services to our local clients in San Diego and select services in Orange County.
For those located outside Southern California please email for more information on services provided.
Falling Waters Landscape has spearheaded over 180 projects, ranging anywhere from small plots to multi-acre estates. FWL has been the recipient of multiple industry awards each year in operation, and has been widely published in books, newspapers and magazines such as San Diego Home and Garden, Riviera, Luxe, Garden Design, and Sunset Magazine.
Founder / Managing Director / Principal Designer
With over 15 years of experience in the landscape design and construction field, Ryan is truly at home in the garden. An Encinitas, CA. native, Ryan graduated with a degree in Landscape Architecture from Mira Costa College. He founded Falling Waters Landscape in 2007 as a small water-feature and design company. It has since evolved into a well-respected landscape design/build/maintenance firm. Ryan oversees all design projects and operations in the company and has designed hundreds of gardens all over San Diego and beyond.
"My approach comes from my love of Art, Architecture, Design, Travel and of course, plants. A well-designed landscape should feel effortless and approachable. It should be welcoming and invite discovery and play. Regardless of the style, a garden is most of all meant for people and here we do our best to integrate livable areas into each space."
Ryan defines his style as “warm-modern” an approach that employs modern elements and materials with warm overtones and a simple, approachable style. Ryan is an avid reader, runner, traveler and loves to cook. He lives with his wife and 2 children in Encinitas, CA.
Garrett Prange has been working in the Landscape Industry for most of his life, beginning with his father's maintenance business. After High School he spent the next few years gaining invaluable real world experience in the field. After several years of full time work, and an urge to grow his career in the Landscape field in a more creative way, Garrett went back to school to earn his Associates Degree in Landscape Architecture while simultaneously beginning work full time as a Design assistant at FWL. In addition to a degree, he is a Certified Arborist and has become an Associate Designer within the Company. "Designing landscapes means a marriage between the scientific and holistic." Garrett strives to approach each new project with this philosophy.
Designer & Project Manager
Brooks Crawford was born and raised in Austin, Texas where he gained a deep appreciation for the outdoors. He attended the University of Texas and started an art collaborative that still makes large abstract art in his absence. He was an Operations Manager in the hotel business and transferred to La Costa Resort & Spa in 2010. After marrying in 2014, his father-in-law taught him the trade of Landscape design and installation. His talent and hard work are put to use daily at FWL as lead Project Manager and Assistant Designer.
Designer / Managing Assistant
Annie is recent grad of California State University San Luis Obispo's Landscape Architecture program. She comes to FWL with an inherent eye for design and impressive technical skills. Annie is a Socal native. Raised in Long Beach, she now calls San Diego her home.
Trevor Glynn is a native San Diegan born and raised in Ocean Beach. His parents instilled in him from an early age a love of nature and the beauty of the area we live in. He loves seeing the creation of an outdoor living space from abstract lines on a computer to a living, breathing part of someone's life. He is a skilled musician and dedicated Sports fan.
Benjamin Nares has over 20 years of experience in the Construction industry. For the past 4 years he has been integral to the operations and has helped FWL accomplish numerous projects. As head of Operations and Construction he has a personal hand in every project that FWL completes. He has a deep love for the Ocean and is an avid surfer. He lives with his wife and children in Carlsbad
Because every project is unique, our approach varies depending on several factors including: location, budget, client involvement, City/HOA requirements, etc. the following is our general process and will help to clarify how we work. For your specific project the approach may change.
We are a design + build Landscape Company. That means we build what we design for you. Beyond standard landscape design, we can prepare detailed renderings, 3D concepts, and also offer “one time” on-site consultations for those interested in ideas only (please inquire for more details). Construction plans and permit drawings can be prepared as part of the Construction agreement. Please inquire via email for current rates and additional services offered
It is important for us to be right fit for a project. We ask that our clients fill out and return a Landscape Design Questionnaire so we can understand more about you, the project, and determine if FWLI is the best fit. Sometimes we are not. If that is the case we will be happy to refer you to another landscape professional who may be better suited to your project.
1. After receipt of the questionnaire we schedule The initial site meeting: We will meet at the site in question during which we will discuss needs vs. wants, budget, permitting, timeline, etc. We can then give you an estimate on design fees and answer specific questions about the process. Before this visit we can send a copy of the design contract, rates and references upon request. This first visit is complimentary for our local clients (within coastal SD county). The initial visit usually lasts between 45min – 1 hour.
2. Site analysis/audit: Upon acceptance and a signed design contract, an extensive site analysis will assess existing conditions. If a site survey or site plan is available we will verify against the existing site. Photos will be taken. All this information will inform an initial conceptual design.
3. Concept Design: The conceptual design phase is the process by which the clients ideas and requests are implemented into the design, some materials are chosen, renderings of key amenities are provided for clarity, and the design begins to take shape.
4. Conceptual budget allowances: After acceptance of the concept design, we will provide allowances for all aspects of the project. At this time we can make budget-driven changes to the design if necessary. After these changes, the concept design phase is complete. During this phase, we will finalize construction methods, materials, provide accurate information for the construction process and provide a timeline for the project.
5. Construction Contract: With materials and design approved, a construction contract is prepared and signed.
6. Permit plans/construction contract and documents: As a condition of a signed construction contract, FWL will prepare plans as needed if permits, and/or approval from local Home Owners Associations is required. This process is handled on an hourly basis. Due to wide variations we make every effort to expedite the process and keep costs to a minimum.
7. Construction Administration: The construction administration phase encompasses the whole construction process from demolition to completion. FWL will be onsite throughout this phase and will provide the following services:
- Payment schedule and revised time-line if needed
- Pre-demolition site meetings to ensure protection of existing buildings and/or site elements
- Regular site visits to ensure design integrity and provide quality control, and to answer all questions.
- Respond to variables in the site that affect the design as well as provide clarity on details.
8. Completion and warranty period requirements: FWL will continue to monitor the general maintenance of the site for 90 days after construction completion with our in-house trained Maintenance team.